Friday, October 3, 2014

How to use Steampunk in Your Startup

I've posted about steampunk before, that wonderful Victorian World Re-envisioned sub-culture that has slowly pervaded mainstream society. It's worth noting for any marketer in any startup. I just wanted to clarify things a bit after my first post on the subject. 

I'm not suggesting any new venture replace their lithium batteries with steam-powered engines. Nor should they add levers to their smart phones - although that would be kinda cool. What I am suggesting is that you take notice of trends that guide buyer decisions. Sherlock, both modern Cumberbatch and Victorian clothed Downey, Jr. versions, speak to an interest in all things steampunkish. Then there's "The Knick" with Clive Owen and many more. The general public gets an warm fuzzy when it's wrapped in tweed or silk. So maybe your product design or at least its marketing should consider some form of trend conformity. 

Here's where some clarification is needed. Steampunk speaks to an audience that is enthralled with details, richness, depth, men and women who want to see the opposite sex take a little more time and some more flair in dressing.  I love my iphone, but part of that love is the ability to add old world warmth with steampunkish designed wallpaper. Likewise, I don't wear a bolo hat, but a vest with my suit was an up-sell I couldn't pass up. And the watch pocket in the vest inspired my wife to buy me a pocket watch, which I freakin love! 

In marketing material, be aware of the deeper trend. Don't dress actors in Victorian period clothing,  but do add the same richness and detail you might find in a Victorian photo. Add some updated steampunkish items as well. Think Willem Defoe and Gary Oldman in recent Prada adds.  

There may be nothing Victorian at all in your product or marketing. When taking advantage of the steampunk trend, see it for what it is, a desire to enrich, embellish, and return to a more elegant sense of style and design. To re-envision the modern world with old world charms of politeness and flair, creating a better world that draws on the best of today and the past is steampunk. Capture that emotion in anyway possible. Just don't be bland and unimaginative. That is how steampunk can contribute to your marketing efforts.

Looking for some photo samples to add. Hit me!


No comments:

Post a Comment